Facebook is useful for interactions other than merely catching up with your friends. One such feature includes creating a Facebook poll on the site to get valuable information for a wide range of reasons.
We dig into how to create a poll on Facebook and why it’s a handy tool for personal and business. Also get answers to related questions to help you master this facet of social networking.
There are various ways you can create a Facebook poll. You can do one through:
- Facebook Story
- Facebook Group
- Your Facebook Page
- On a Facebook Event Page
- Via Facebook Messenger
How to Create a Poll on Facebook Stories
Creating a poll on Facebook is not as straightforward as one might expect. It’s not possible to directly post a poll for your friends on the site. You don’t have the option of using the news feed or timeline feature to post a poll as of now.
Thus, the only avenue left to post a poll on the site is via the Facebook Story feature. You can use this segment to pose questions, customize the responses available to your followers, and post the results once you’re done collecting the information.
As Facebook Story is only available on the Facebook app on IOS and Android, you’ll have to use this venue to start a poll. Learn how to create a Facebook poll on timeline by following these steps:
- Open your Facebook application on either IOS or Android phone and enter your profile page.
- Click on the “Add to Story” button on this page.
- Sweep the page to find the Poll option.
- You will find a prompt at this point that begins with “Ask a question”. Tap on this section to customize the poll.
- Add a question for your followers.
- Change the answers from “Yes/No” based on your requirements.
- Once you’re done making all the necessary changes, click on the “Share to Story” button.
Your poll will now be live on your page and accessible to all your followers. You can punctuate the poll with the help of interesting pictures or videos if you like.
Once your followers begin posting their responses, the results will be available for everyone to see, including yourself.
How to Make a Poll on Facebook Group
Creating a group poll on Facebook is actually a lot easier than polling your friends. This is because you can access the group news feed from either your computer or mobile and create a poll on the site.
Follow these steps to get your group poll started on Facebook:
- Access the Facebook app or website and navigate to the Groups tab on the left menu.
- Select the group you wish to poll and start things off by clicking on the “Write something” tab.
- You should now be able to see the “Poll” option emerge in the dropdown menu.
- Click on the “Poll” option and fill in the details regarding your question and customizable answers.
- Once you finalize the details, you can hit the “Post” button.
Your poll should now be live and kicking among the feeds of your followers. Follow the results in real-time or come back when you’re ready to close the poll for a cumulative set of results.
How to Start a Poll on Facebook Page
Starting a poll on a business Facebook Page is a great way to boost your audience engagement and allow your customers to engage with the brand. The process is a bit more lengthy in comparison to the previous options, but you can get it done by following these steps:
- Gain or access the admin/editor page of the business.
- Click on the “Write a post” tab on the admin page.
- Find the tab with three dots (…) to access the polls.
- Click on the “Poll” option to begin the poll.
- Fill in the question you wish to pose to the audience and provide a wide range of options.
- You can provide your audience with a maximum of 25 answers in this section.
- Punctuate the page using a GIF or any other type of image.
- Click on the “Post now” tab if you’re ready to finalize the poll and make it available to the audience.
- Customize various facets before posting such as scheduling the time of the post and the duration of the post.
Your followers can now respond to your poll and you can begin collecting important information that can assist your business and brand building process.
How to Create a Poll on an Event Page
The Event Page section of your Facebook profile allows you to notify your followers about an upcoming activity that’s being organized by you or your brand. Event Pages help audience members stay in touch with the latest developments in your life or in the activities conducted by your brand.
You can conduct a poll on this page as well in order to get valuable feedback from the audience or to get their opinions regarding organizing the event itself.
To create poll on Facebook Event Page, follow these simple steps:
- Access your Facebook account on your computer or smartphone.
- Find the “Events” tab that’s located on the left side or top panel of the page.
- Select the event that’s related to the poll you wish to conduct.
- Click on the “Create a poll” tab located at the top of the “Create post” box of the page.
- Begin inputting the information into each of the “Add option” boxes on this page.
- Add more options by simply clicking on the “+Add option” tab.
- Click on the “Poll options” tab on this page.
- If you don’t want the event invitees to add more choices to this section, clear out the “Allow anyone to add options” box on this page.
- If you don’t want the invitees to have the option of selecting multiple choices and you want them to pick just one option, clear out the “Allow people to choose multiple options” tab on this page.
- Enter the necessary content in the “Post” box located on this page.
- When you’re ready to post the poll, click on the “Post” button.
Your followers will now be able to give you insights into the necessary topic to help you improve the quality of your upcoming event.
How to Create a Poll on Facebook Messenger
Facebook messenger is a unique messenger feature that allows you to directly text and communicate with the followers on your Facebook profile. It’s possible to use the polling option to conduct a survey on your Facebook messenger as well.
This allows you to personalize polls based on the group conversation you’ve selected and gain information from a diverse set of groups. It also avoids unveiling personal information that you don’t wish to share with the rest of your followers on Facebook.
How do I create a poll in a Facebook group? Just follow these simple steps:
- Access your Facebook Messenger on your smartphone or computer.
- Open the group conversation that you wish to poll on your Facebook Messenger.
- Click on the “Create a poll” tab located at the bottom of your Messenger window if you’re using a computer.
- Click on the “+” button at the end of the Messenger if you’re using a smartphone.
- Find the “Ask something” box on this page and begin typing out your poll query.
- You can add more options to the poll by clicking on the “+ Add option” on this page.
- Once you’ve finalized the poll, click on the “Create poll” button to post the poll.
Why Create a Poll on Facebook?
In case you’re wondering why someone would use Facebook to conduct a poll, here are a list of reasons. Hopefully, they’ll inspire some ideas and get you to make the most of this invaluable feature.
Increase Your Engagement
If your goal as an individual or business is to increase your engagement with your Facebook followers and improve your numbers over time, a poll is a great tool to do exactly that.
While content-based posts that rely on the use of images, text or videos can entertain your audience, it does not guarantee engagement with them. A Facebook poll, on the other hand, is a tool that’s designed to elicit a response.
Interactions are key when it comes to boosting followers and heightening engagement. A poll opens a two-way channel of communication to allow your followers to offer some priceless feedback.
Improve Your Reach
The reach of your publications will be significantly bolstered by the use of Facebook polls as well. Reach is everything when it comes to maximizing the impact of your posts, and conducting a poll is a great way to help do just that.
As a rule of thumb on Facebook, a poll tends to involve followers a lot more when compared to content-based posts, and thus it has a direct impact on your reach.
Understand the Opinions of Your Followers
Whether you’re an individual or a brand, it never hurts to get more insight into the minds of your followers. Creating a poll on Facebook is a tried and tested method of attaining information about your followers’ likes, dislikes and opinions. You can apply this traditional marketing principle on a much larger scale by polling your followers.
Build a Relationship With Your Followers
As polls tend to be an interactive method to engage with your followers, it stands to reason that this tool can also be used to build a relationship with them over time.
Starting a poll on Facebook will start a dialogue with your audience. It allows them to participate in the conversation by offering individual insights and opinions. This works especially well when you’re trying to build a brand with a loyal fan base.
You can consult with your Facebook followers on important decisions and understand where they stand on several issues before making permanent changes to your brand. It also allows your audience to feel included in the conversation and offers them an outlet to voice their stance on issues.
Works as a Spotlight
Facebook feeds are usually flooded with content-based posts, and this can be quite monotonous for followers. You can break the mold by using polling on Facebook in order to make it stand out from the stream of ordinary posts.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Create a Poll on Facebook
How to Close a Facebook Poll?
Once you’ve started a poll on your Facebook Page or Messenger, you will have the option of deleting or closing the poll whenever you want. You will be able to see two buttons at the bottom of your page once the poll is live. One of them reads “Close” while the other reads “Delete”. Click on your desired option to close or delete the poll.
Can You Customize Your Poll?
Yes, you can customize your poll on Facebook. This includes attaching a photo to the poll, adding a GIF to the poll, tagging your followers to the poll and even tagging events to the poll. Customizing your poll is a great way to engage your audience further and ensure that your poll stands out from the crowd.
Poll, Don’t Troll
Social networking sites have become fairly one-dimensional with a continuous influx of seemingly similar posts, regardless of your number of followers. Most people are satisfied simply posting regular content and liking or sharing what’s already been posted.
In this seemingly mundane stream of data, you stand a chance to stand out from the crowd by using one of the lesser-used features… a Facebook poll. Making a poll on Facebook can start a conversation unlike most other tools on the site, and using it well can make a world of a difference to your business.
It also helps you understand your friends, family and your customers in a much more dynamic fashion. Isn’t that the true purpose of social networking?
When you think of social media websites or apps, the first name that pops into your mind is Facebook. It’s the premier social networking site with a whopping 2.45 billion users. Learning how to create a poll on Facebook is a way to make a personal connection and stand out.
See Facebook info: